Korean Folktales

A collection of Korean Folktales

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Stone Dduk

Long ago there lived a rabbit and a tiger. One warm spring day, after hopping here and there, the rabbit became very tired and fell asleep on a hillside, only to be suddenly awakened by a sharp tap on his back. Seeing a tiger in front of him the frightened rabbit did his utmost to maintain poise and show respect, "Honorable tiger."

"No need to fuss! I haven't eaten anything for lunch and I only want to ease my hunger by eating you."

Wanting to avoid imminent death, the rabbit didn't waste any seconds before coming up with an idea. "My goodness! How did you miss your lunch? You must be terribly hungry by now."

"I don't need your sympathy, poor rabbit. Just prepare yourself for your final moment." The tiger stretched his neck forward with his mouth wide open to devour the rabbit.

Stepping backward, the rabbit said, "If you swallow me in such haste, I'm afraid you might choke on me. Before you eat me, why don't you try my Stone Dduk, which makes an excellent appetizer. Have you ever tried Stone Dduk? You don't know how delicious it is."

Thinking he might as well eat both, the tiger replied, "Well whatever Stone Dduk is, bring me some. Let me try."

The rabbit picked up eleven smooth, round stones. "These are Dduk. They will be delicious once they are roasted and dipped in honey." "Honey? Why would you need honey?"

"Dduk taste much much better when dipped in honey. I will go down to the village to get some. You watch the Dduk so that they don't burn while I am gone. There are ten Dduk, wait until I get back to eat them."

No sooner was the rabbit out of sight than the Tiger counted the Dduk. "The rabbit clearly said there were ten, but there are eleven. I thought the rabbit was smart, but he doesn't even know how to count."

He picked up one large red hot Dduk and put it into his mouth. "Oh, my throat! My mouth! What a fool I am! I have been deceived!" The raging tiger jumped up and down destroying the fire before racing back to his cave.

Days passed. Unable to eat because of his badly burned throat, the tiger waited. Finally so hungry he could wait no longer, he came out of his cave to find something moving in the bushes. It was the rabbit.

"I am glad to meet you again," said the tiger menacingly.

Once again frightened, but again maintaining his poise, the rabbit calmly said, "Honorable tiger. Last time I was chased by a vicious village dog and couldn't bring you honey. After that I would have visited you, but I was so busy with my research."

With a frightening roar, the tiger answered, "What research? You are no good rabbit. This time I will definitely eat you up."

"Please listen to me honorable tiger. I have been researching ways of catching sparrows, lots of sparrows. I have discovered a very effective method."

The tiger was determined not to be cheated again, but in listening to the rabbit, his appetite for sparrows rose. "Tell me how you would catch sparrows?"

"It is not difficult, come with me to the middle of that field and sit with your eyes closed and your mouth wide open."

The tiger did as the rabbit asked, but first he said, "you cannot cheat me again or your death is a sure thing."

The tiger closed his eyes with his mouth open wide, listening to the rabbit chasing sparrows. "Hooee! said the rabbit. "The sparrows are coming; please keep your mouth open." Hoping to soon have a mouthful of sparrows, the tiger remained with eyes closed and mouth open, even though he strangely began to feel warmer and warmer. Finally, curious, he opened his eyes to find himself surrounded by wildfire! As he dashed through the flames for his life he thought, "how stupid of me to be cheated again."

His skin and hair badly burned, the tiger had to lay down again for several days. As he lay there he thought, "I should never have underestimated the little rabbit." As for the rabbit, he has never been seen again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home